Thursday, February 6, 2014

Message and Music

This weekend our Gospel and the sermon message speak about how Jesus tells us that we are "the salt of the earth" and "the light of the world". But, wait... isn't Jesus the "light of the world"?  Yes! But He says that we also are the light of the world -- because we reflect Him, just like the moon reflects the sun. Without the sun, the moon does not shine of its own accord.  Likewise, we do not shine of our own accord, but rather, we shine because of Him.

If you listen closely to the music sung and played in worship on any given weekend, you will often hear the words/message/theme of one or more of the readings echoed in the lyrics. Last weekend, for example, the youth led our opening song, "Better Is One Day" (below).  Read the Psalm for last weekend and then listen to the song.

Psalm 84
How lovely is your dwelling place, O LORD Almighty! 
My soul yearns, even faints, for the courts of the LORD; my heart and my flesh cry out for the living God. 
Even the sparrow has found a home, and the swallow a nest for herself, where she may have her young-- a place near your altar, O LORD Almighty, my King and my God.
Blessed are those who dwell in your house; they are ever praising you.
Blessed are those whose strength is in you, who have set their hearts on pilgrimage.
As they pass through the Valley of Baca, they make it a place of springs; the autumn rains also cover it with pools.
They go from strength to strength, till each appears before God in Zion.
Hear my prayer, O LORD God Almighty; listen to me, O God of Jacob.
Look upon our shield, O God; look with favor on your anointed one. 
Better is one day in your courts than a thousand elsewhere; I would rather be a doorkeeper in the house of my God than dwell in the tents of the wicked. 
For the LORD God is a sun and shield; the LORD bestows favor and honor; no good thing does he withhold from those whose walk is blameless. 
O LORD Almighty, blessed is the man who trusts in you.




This coming weekend listen for these songs:

You will hear the chorus from the song "Shine" immediately following the sermon:

Lord let me shine shine like the moon
A reflection of You in all that I do
Lord let me be a light for Your Truth
Light of the World I wanna be used
To shine for You



and "We Are" for the prelude during the call to worship:



We Are (refrain)
We are the light of the world
We are the city on a hill
We are the light of the world
And we gotta we gotta we gotta
Let the light shine


No comments:

Post a Comment