Monday, December 7, 2009

How do you prepare?

This past weekend's Gospel (Luke 3:1-6) is, for me, the core of what Advent is about. Whenever I hear this text I immediately hear "Prepare Ye the Way of the Lord" from Godspell. In fact, I can't get it out of my head. You can get it stuck in your head too...



This text raises a question, though...what does it mean to 'prepare the way of the Lord?' For our society, Advent is often bypassed altogether, and we 'prepare the way of the Lord' by preparing for a cultural Christmas: hanging lights, decorating the Christmas tree, standing in long lines purchasing gifts that we're not sure our friends and family will even like, going to holiday parties, listening to holiday music, watching Rudolph, Charlie Brown and other TV Christmas specials, and the like. I know this because this is what I do. This is what I see others do. While I have no doubt that God can work through these, is it really preparing us for the coming of Christ? What did John intend for God's people?

I am challenging myself (and you) to treat Advent as something different, something sacred. I think that we're called to a time of repentance, a time of reflection, and a time of excitement. We're called to pray, to be a light to those in need, to give hope to the hopeless, to be in worship, to care for one another, and to focus on, above all else, Christ's coming to the world.

Let us truly Prepare the Way of the Lord!

Peace,
Dave Dringenburg

No comments:

Post a Comment