Thursday, February 11, 2010

"Fight On, For Old 'SC"


One thing you may not know about me is that I am a huge USC football fan. I’ll talk more about my love for SoCal in my next blog, but briefly, I love USC football. We try to get out to Southern California each year at least one time for a game ... Last October we saw USC beat Oregon State at the Coliseum for my birthday, and had a blast.

Now, I know I have to be careful –writing this while living in Badger Nation – but gameday at USC is fantastic – tailgating on campus, visiting Heritage Hall which is filled with Heisman Trophies and National Championships, following the band from campus to the stadium, and then, as their website describes, you enter the Coliseum. “Going through the gates, you feel the rush of excitement as football fills your senses. Peering through the tunnel, you see the greenest green the Almighty has to offer.”

I love it!

Now, in case you aren’t a college football fan, you should know that USC’s football program is one of the country’s premier programs, and typically gets a lot of the best talent and nation’s top recruits. But the story that came out recently even caught me by surprise ... Here’s an excerpt from the Minneapolis Newspaper, the StarTribune -

“News spread late last week that USC had nabbed a verbal commitment from a quarterback who has no chance to play on the Trojans [for quite sometime] ... Yes, in a story and headline that seemed to be ripped straight from the Onion's sports page parody but instead came from ESPN.com and others, David Sills -- a 13-year-old QB from Delaware – gave [USC’s head coach] Lane Kiffin what we presume to be his first recruit for the class of 2015. … It takes a while to process such news. Your Humble Page 2 Correspondent tried to play it for laughs on Twitter, sending this out: ‘With 2010 accounted for and 2015 underway, will USC work on in-womb commits for the class of 2029?’ A pregnant pal who goes by AZGopherGirl jokingly replied: ‘Lane Kiffin got Pac 10 scouting reports of my stomach size and has called and texted 16 times. D-lineman fetus for sure.’ "

Yep, recruiting for USC now starts in the womb. :)

Okay, we can joke about it when it comes to recruiting football players. But the truth of the matter is that God recruited you when you were at that very stage! God didn’t wait to see you turned out, before calling you. He knew you and called you before you ever saw the light of day. Heck, he made you! Psalm 139:13 reads, “For it was you who formed my inward parts; you knit me together in my mother's womb.” Wow, know there’s a God who knows you. He knew you from the very beginning. How awesome it is to know that God has been with us our entire lives, from the very beginning.

Yours in Christ,
Pastor Mark

1 comment: